Monday, June 24, 2013

And the letter!

Hola!! Como esta?! Well I have almost been here for a month! Nope, actually I start my 5th week today so that is pretty crazy!!! Things get better as I learn more spanish and get the hang of things!

This past week we had copaciation (leadership) training. It is to follow up on our 12 week training. For those of you who don't know because they cut down on our time in the MTC we train for 12 weeks with our first trainer. And every week they have things for us to do like start reporting the numbers daily to the district leader, start taking turns in finding situations, etc. We watch a lot of The District and more. But we did the meeting early because President Monestel leaves this week and President Russel starts! We actually write President Russel instead of President Monestel today. It will be interesting to see what changes! But the capacitation was so helpful! It is hard because there is always something we can be doing better and we can always do more so it is hard to feel like a good missionary but they teach us so much! One thing I learned is to use our investigar registro (don't know what it is called in English but it helps us keep track of what we have taught and how they are progressing). It is good for the investigators to see because then they know what they need to learn and feel ready for Baptism. 

We also had interzone cambio (that word just means change or divisions!). I was paired with a girl who leaves in 2 weeks. I had really been hoping to be paired with her and I was! I was able to learn SO much from her. She helped me figure out what I can do to learn spanish better, and how to teach better. Hermana Lorenzo is her name. I had to stay in my area probably to give me experience and help me learn. I really had no idea where I was going, but we had a member come with us. This boy is 18 and is already a missionary. He was great! And it ended up being a great day!

One crazy thing that happened with her was we were teaching at night at what is called a pulperia (which are everywhere and is where people kind of sell things out of their house like fruit, toothpaste, gum, it depends on the pulperia). But we were teaching the owners outside and this drunk man comes up and has a butcher knife in his  hand and he starts swinging it at his arm like he is going to cut his arm off. I was sure I was going to be scarred for life but luckily he didn't do anything and he just walked away. I have seen him later and he has both of his arms so all is okay with him. But whoo! But I was able to learn a lot from her and I am glad I got to do divisions with her!

Before I go on I will tell you how we travel...it is always by bus when it is not withing the city. And it may be like a school bus or like a poligamobile. And you know, a polygamobile fits probably 15 people, well they squeeze probably 30. People EVERYWHERE. And we travel like that for it depends, 1 or 2 sometimes 3 hours. Super fun! They pack people onto the big ones as well!! But this week for the first time I contacted the bus!!! I was with another companionship, it was after capacitaciones. My companion and another demonstrated and Hermana Escobar and I followed! It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be! I find I don't really have a fear of talking to people, it is just actually talking :)

So we don´t have a ward we have a branch. There used to be 2 branches in Rivas but they were so small they combined them. It is in a nice building! Our ward is really really good at working with the missionaries. Some have to work a lot but we have a lot of youth willing to work with us. Our ward mission leader really helps us and is a little crazy but is awesome! Gets things done!

We were hoping to have 3 baptisms this week but have had to postpones some. Either because they didn't attend church or because they really need to time to build their testimony. We made it a goal as a zone to teach more slowly and make it real conversion. So that they don't leave right after being baptized. We have one really good family that we are teaching. There are a lot of kids and are the family with nothing. But the kids seem really interested and excited which is cool to see!! Whe then taught a woman who we walked 15 kilometers to teach and  is less active and her children. I could see in the eyes of some of the children that they had such a hard life. Such responisibility and hardship at such a young age. I hate seeing that and it is then that I really want to work hard. To help make them happy and show that there is hope and joy in this life. That it is not all about the bad. I hope we can bring joy. Another teenager we taught and she broke down in front of us. Her parents are having problems and she is hurting because of it. We all felt the spirit so strongly (and I feel it now as I write to you). We helped her know that her heavenly loves her and will listen to all of her problems. 

I want you to know that I know this chruch is true!! They tell us all the time that it doesn´t matter if we can´t speak spanish because it is the spirit and love that will teach them. President Monestel also told us that going home is not an option :) finish this journey to the end. But I tell my investigators that I know this church is true because I feel the spirit when I teach them. I know that the Book of mormon (libro de mormon) is the work of God and that it testifies that Jesus is the Christ. I have learned to rely on the Lord so much here. There are times when I pray every 10 minutes to help me feel love for the work, be strong, and feel his love for me. I know he will help us with everything! No matter how small!!! 

I love you all so much! Thank you for all of your love and support! Keep doing great things! So glad you are doing your own missionary work :) The church is true! 

Love, your Nicaraguan Missionary 

No comments:

Post a Comment